08 August 2010

It's Been Awhile

Wow, it has been a LOOOOOONG time since I wrote!

Let's see, CITY OF ANGELS with the Drama Group opened....and closed. I had lines and was so happy to get laughs with my lines. I learned how to smoke a cigar (ick) and made friends that I thought would last a while. Who knows what is going on there, you know? It's after a show....

The next adventure was with 99th Street Summer Theatre and being Reporter #1/Passenger in their production of ANYTHING GOES. It was an adventure, that is for sure. Not sure it is one I want to repeat, for reasons I will leave to myself, but I met some fantastic (and fantastically talented) people. All in all, it was an interesting way to spend the summer.

While that was going on, I auditioned for THE DROWSY CHAPERONE. I <3 that show and 1/2 of the Dramatic Duo encouraged me MONTHS ago to audition for Mrs. Tottendale, saying it would be a better fit than Chaperone (another character I love and dream of playing). I REALLY want to play Mrs. T. While I did not get THAT production of it, my spirits were lifted when I received an e-mail from the director informing me that I was 1 0f 2 that he felt horrible about not using. I take that as a good sign, right??

Then, I got my next adventure. Doing a straight drama. No music. Me and 11 other people on stage. 12 ANGRY JURORS. You know 12 ANGRY MEN? Well, this is the version with men and women, so there really is no difference other than we aren't all men. I am playing juror #12. Not a large role, but considering the director has never worked with me before and I am the only one where that is the case or he has not seen the person on stage, I consider it an honor to be cast at all. This show is going to be a challenge and I am looking forward to all that it brings!

Then today I had an audition that was just about perfect for me. It was for a new show titled ALIEN QUEEN. The show looks to be a spoof on the ALIEN/ALIENS movie (hello! I look like Sigourney Weaver) and uses the music of QUEEN, my all-time favorite group. Who knows how it went. I went in, sang a capella b/c the music did not arrive in time, read a Ripley scene, they said to read scene 2 to see where it went. I infused it with a little more anger/passion/fury/disgust. Then they asked me to sing one more song. Oh, the first song was "I Want to Break Free" and the second song was "Save Me." Like I said, who knows how it went. It was an audition, I went in, did my best, felt like I learned a little something and if anything comes from it GREAT, and if not...GREAT! =)

For now, I'm going to focus on being an angry juror! =)

No comments: