22 March 2010

Audition #5 -- It's a Hard Knock Life, For Me!

I've been debating heading up to GR for this audition for a long, loooong time. Circle Theatre, a theatre that I interned for in 1995 was holding auditions....and they were doing ANNIE! HELLLOOOO!!!! Miss Hannigan = DREAM ROLE!!!!

Because I was not 100% sure if I was going to come up for the auditions, I did not make an appointment, but I was perfectly happy sitting around for a bit until I could get in. I met a girl from Colorado who flew in to audition for the role of Annie because she had just done it and wanted to do it again. I met a bunch of people doing the latest Circle Show. And I listened to my song and practiced!

Finally, I got called in with about 14 other people. There were about 14 people sitting at a table for the 2 shows they were auditioning for, and they were RIGHTattheedgeofthestage. I was the 2nd to last person to audition and I had noticed that the accompanist was coming out from behind the piano to greet each person so I walked right up to him, stuck out my hand and introduced myself and thanked him. I then showed him my music with its 3 key changes in 16 measures. Then I stepped into the curve of the baby grand (ooooh!! baby grand!!) and said, "Hello, I am your tall drink of water for the day. My name is XXX and I am going to be singing XXX from XXX." Then I sang my 16 bars and got the feeling that they wanted more. Before I sat down to change shoes they wanted my picture and after seeing everyone being serious and being in a silly mood, I did a "Japanese tourist."

Then it was time for the dance combination! Ok, after what I have done the last couple of auditions with dance combos this one was the easiest one yet!! They wanted to try to combine the styles of "Little Shop" and "Annie." The song was "Easy Street" and I felt that since the song has so much attitude I was going to put it into my dancing. They did not say to play it straight, so I put character into it. I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but.....

After the audition someone asked me if I was auditioning for Miss Hannigan, I responded in the affirmative and they told me I had the perfect voice for her!

I don't think I am going to get this show (I did not), but it was a lot of fun going back home and auditioning for a theatre that I interned at back in 199*mumble*. I think I had poor song choice for what I was auditioning for and I think I may have come off as being a little too flippant when in actuality I was trying to break the nerves up in me.

No comments: